Our New Reality

Grace Tinklepaugh
Dr. Alla Myzelev
ARTH 300: Fashion, Art, and Politics
Spring 2021

At the beginning of the pandemic, there slowly started to be whispers of people having to wear masks to stop the spread of Covid-19. Masks were not a new concept as many of us knew that in Asian countries it was common for people to wear masks because of pollution and disease, but none of us ever expected it to be a reality in the United States. I first heard about masks at the beginning when the news started documenting what was happening in Italy.

Before being sent home from SUNY Geneseo, the news was beginning to document the effect of the virus in Italy, preparing Americans for what was possible to come. In February, at the beginning of the pandemic before it was in the United States, I was unsure how to feel about masks. On one hand, I was open to wearing one, but on the other I didn’t think in that moment it was necessary. For all of February and the majority of March I did not wear a mask. Once I was home in mid-March me and my family made the conscious decision to start wearing masks as it got worse not only in the United States, but in my hometown of Buffalo, New York. Soon after this my place of work, Wegmans, gave employees the options to wear masks. At first many employees, myself included, did not wear masks. Only a rare few of employees would wear the blue disposable masks to work.

We had clear window glass separating us from customers and a set cleaning schedule that in the beginning many of us felt we were safe enough with these guidelines in place. By the end of March, all employees were expected to wear a mask to work and my employer gave us free disposable masks for each shift, and later gave us two reusable fabric masks to start wearing every day.

In the beginning the first masks I wore were the light blue disposable masks. My mom, who was cautious of Covid-19 early on, had mass ordered reusable fabric masks for our family that we were patiently waiting for. Besides the disposable masks we all know, one of my first reusable masks was made by my Aunt. My aunt started making fabric masks for her friends and family because in the beginning there were little to no reusable masks in stores. My aunt Sue was quick to find videos and templates online to make masks and found the process to be super easy. The first few weeks at the beginning of the pandemic my aunt had stocked up on various designs of fabric and had made around 100 masks that she made for herself, her friends, coworkers, and family. Now that the pandemic has been going on for quite some time my aunt no longer makes masks since so many are sold in stores now.

Since March I either wear disposable light blue masks or reusable fabric masks from Old Navy. I have found that Old Navy makes the best reusable masks for me because the fabric is comfortable, they come in a huge variety of colors and patterns, and the straps on the sides can adjust depending on the tightness you want. This mask is made of 100% cotton and very comfortable for days when I work long shifts and have to wear my mask for upwards of eight hours. My family also now only strictly wears the Old Navy reusable masks because of how comfortable and easy to use they are.

Old Navy fabric reusable masks

My sister and I both work at Wegmans and often have to wear a mask for four to six hours depending on the day. We found these masks are the most comfortable while still keeping us safe. These masks are also in compliance with our work uniform, since our employer wants all employees to have plain colored or patterned masks. I also like these masks because they are so easy to clean and don’t shrink, like other fabric masks tend to do. The reusable fabric masks from old navy are also super affordable and have constant new designs to choose from. The mask I have chosen as my usual mask of choice is a reusable fabric mask from Old Navy. I would consider this mask to be a part of Pandemic fashion as reusable fabric masks are now very popular and a part of everyday fashion and safety.

My mask is a light blue green with white adjustable straps. The mask is 7.5 inches long and 3.5 inches wide. The material used for this mask is 100% cotton and very soft and comfortable to wear. There is one label indicating it is an Old Navy product, what it is made of, and how to wash it.

This object was mass produced and made in China according to the tag on the item. This mask is a light blue green color with white straps on the side. This is not the only color/design that the Old Navy masks come in, but all of them do have white straps regardless. This mask is only one month old. It is still the original shade and was kept well intact. There are no signs of tears or repairs needed to be made. The Old Navy masks that I own all have remained in good condition with the original color still visible and no rips or distress marks. The story behind this mask is that it was bought for me by my mother for Easter. My family’s favorite masks are from Old Navy and they are the ones we strictly buy now. My mom purchased a pack of ten for only around five dollars and split them among our family. This is one of the masks I wear the most regularly because it is one of my favorite colors. The events that influenced the production of this object was the need for a reusable mask during the pandemic. As it was getting harder and harder to find a supply of disposable masks, which you are recommended not to reuse, people needed a new form of mask that would keep you safe and last.