Where a Mind Wanders

When sitting in class or outside, leaning on a tree with nice breeze blowing past your face, it is often common for one’s mind to wander. The place that one might find their “zone out space” could be quite different depending on the person. For me, I often find myself thinking toward nature and all of the millions to billions of things that could be happening at the exact moment I am staring off toward the Genesee Valley. The amount of things that other people could be are doing at this exact moment: someone being born, someone dying, someone getting the best news in the world, getting fired, getting hired, and of course millions and millions of more. The possibilities are beyond what an 18 year college student can even close to fathom. Even excluding humans, just imagining the sheer amount of things happening in the animal world every minute or second around the entirety of the world is completely impossible to wrap my head around, yet this is where my mind attempts to go. Attempting to conjecture the various things that may be going on while I sit in a small Gazebo in Geneseo New York, sipping on coffee, watching the sunset as a set of small birds fly past. Some people might find their mind taking them to a peaceful white beach or a fond memory of their past, but mine tirelessly finds itself looking to the beyond, in an state of out of body thought, trying to understand the bigger picture of all things in life and imagine the possibilities of  lives beyond my own. If I found myself to be a lion in the Amazon what would be my main worry or priority? I figure it wouldn’t be a pile of homework stacking on a desk somewhere but most likely where I would find my next meal or the next place I would stay for shelter. I find myself thinking about this when I need time to put my own issues in perspective. I also believe that this is indeed why we “space out”: so we can take our issues or stresses, put them into perspective and find a place where those issues are so much smaller or insignificant. So take the time to zone out and find, if you have yet to, your “zone out space.”          –Connor