A walk in town

When students hear, “Let’s go for a walk!”, they automatically think about a five-minute walk through campus. Most of us believe the only successful walk leads to the famous Gazebo. Although this gazebo is very beautiful when viewing the sunset, no one considers that a walk through town can be just as enjoyable! Since in today’s generation people transport mostly by car, walking for more than five minutes seems “too far”. Yet, I took a 15-minute walk just to get to Main Street and I was super excited. The buildings were so old-fashioned and painted in exterior colors of blue, white, and even pink. This old appearance made me feel as if I were standing in my hometown’s main road. Both consist of many stores and places to dine. I felt as if I fit right in. As I traveled down the street admiring the beauty, I noticed a large fountain in the middle of the road. At first I was confused as to why it was placed right in the center, but somehow it just fits the story this road was trying to tell. The fountain represented peace and joy, its water falling a sign of calmness. It matched the feeling of comfort and joy I felt. Since Geneseo is such a small town with not too many students, you are likely to run into people you know–like I did. My close friends who live in Suffolk Hall had been going back to their dorms from dinner, and not only did I feel comfortable now, but I felt welcomed by my peers. At this moment I realized how lucky and grateful I am to be here. I am surrounded by a friendly and safe environment where I can feel comfortable going on a walk alone and be able to enjoy the scenery around me. –Madison