First opened in 1871 as the Wadsworth Normal and Training School, Geneseo has grown exponentially in its 150-year history.
The College and its community have changed over the years, but across the decades they have shared one thing — a deep commitment to education.
On its 150th anniversary, Geneseo stands a proud and respected SUNY institution whose halls, grounds, and people are beloved by those who will forever call it home.
This Is Who We Are
This Is Our History
As we share the history of the College, we wish to acknowledge that SUNY Geneseo resides on the historic homeland of the Seneca Nation of Indians and the Tonawanda Seneca Nation. This acknowledgement is intended as a respectful recognition of a painful history, and we believe is particularly important in light of the college’s educational mission and its Community Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
150th Anniversary Committee
- Andrea Klein, Director of Campus Events & Scheduling, Co-Chair
- Jonna Anne, Managing Director of Restaurants & Cafés
- Liz Argentieri, Special Collections Librarian
- Brian Bennett, Director of Visual Branding Initiatives
- Brett Ford, Assistant Director of Athletic Communications & Media Relations
- Sarah Frank, Director of Residence Life
- Tracy Young Gagnier ’93, Assistant Director of Alumni Relations
- Kerri Howell ’97, Chief Communications & Marketing Officer
- Ellen Leverich, VP College Advancement
- Jennifer Gibson, Director of Donor Relations, Co-Chair
- Linda Gray Ludlum ’85, Database Administrator
- Chip Matthews, Director of Student Life
- Julie Oas, Finance and Administration
- Christie Reed, Assistant to the President
- Nichole Siwicki, Assistant Director of the Office of Diversity & Equity
- Keely Soltow, Registrar
- Christie Smith, Associate Director of Admissions
- Lytton Smith, Associate Professor of English and Creative Writing and Director of Center for Integrative Learning