Sustainability from micro and macro perspectives during the COVID-19 outbreak

While it may be true that some families, including mine, are using less resources and producing less waste as a result, it is imperative to look at the big picture when considering how the COVID-19 outbreak has impacted sustainability and waste. Rapid and unprecedented changes in consumption and travel behaviors around the world have taken place. While it is impossible to know how much this will impact sustainability indicators such as carbon emissions and waste in the future, we are already seeing impacts on sustainability indicators now.

Sustainability in my Household: a Micro Perspective

In many ways, I believe that my family and I are using less resources, however there are certain areas that we are perhaps using more. Since my family is home now all of the time, we cook and eat every single meal in our house and use our reusable dishes and silverware to consume food washing them right after. I would argue that now that I am home, I use less single use products than I would use at college. For example, I drink coffee and tea at home now rather than going to Starbucks. We are indeed traveling less, thus using less gasoline. My vehicle was nearly empty when I arrived home, I gassed it up and since then I have not purchased any gasoline since I have barely traveled anywhere. However, my parents pointed out that since I am home from college they are going through much more food and supplies as opposed to if I were still at college. Furthermore, I have noticed that we are using much more electricity and hot water since we are home all the time. 

As many restaurants, bars, and coffee shops around the world are temporarily closed, many individuals are consuming most of their food and beverages at home.

Macro Level Changes in Carbon Emissions

On a macro level, we have seen the demand for fossil fuels slashed in an unprecedented manner. In the month of April, oil prices crashed as a result of a drastic and unprecedented drop in demand. Around the globe, air and road travel has essentially come to a halt. According to the TSA many airports are reporting a decline in commercial air travel by as much as ninety percent or more. An article in The New York Times asserts that the global epidemic has caused an unprecedented global shutdown of travel and economic activity, the likes of which modern society has never seen. In several Asian and European cities, carbon emissions and air pollution has been reduced by double-digit percentage points.  

As stay-at home orders are in effect for billions of people worldwide, there has been a drastic reduction in traffic resulting in profound decreases in carbon emissions. 

Food Sustainability highlighted During the Pandemic

Moreover, on a macro level, the topic of food sustainability and security is something that has also come to light. This topic is something that frequently takes a backseat in ordinary times. I find that I am guilty of not necessarily thinking about food sustainability and where my food comes from.  A Forbes Article titled “Coronavirus And The Food We Eat” discusses both the origins of COVID-19, as well as how it relates to food sustainability and security. COVID-19 is part of the Coronavirus family, can be found in various species of animals including livestock, cats, and bats. A virus like COVID-19 can jump from animals to humans through contact, and it is likely the case that it made the jump at the Wuhan market.  This pandemic presents an opportunity for food consumers and producers alike to reflect on the cleanliness and sustainability of the global food supply chain. There is a heightened importance of where and how we are growing our food, as well as how it is processed, handled and sold. This pandemic has shed light on a subject that has been neglected for years, how the global food supply needs to be sound though both the standpoint of human health and environmental sustainability.