Kennison Earns UUP’s Highest Honor

Headshot of Wes Kennison
Wes Kennison
Wes Kennison ’79, faculty fellow for international programs, was recently awarded the Nina Mitchell Award for Distinguished Service by United University Professions (UUP), the nation’s largest higher education union. It is the union’s highest honor.

Kennison received the award at the UUP Fall Delegate Assembly on Friday, Oct. 15.

UUP President Fred Kowal says that Kennison has consistently demonstrated consensus building, connecting different groups within the union to achieve contracts that represent everyone.

Kennison, whose several roles at Geneseo also include faculty fellow for the Office of International Programs, has been active in UUP for more than 25 years. The UUP publication The Voice noted Kennison’s involvement in the 2000 Negotiations Committee, serving as a representative for part-time faculty and staff and helping to secure them health insurance benefits. He continued to advocate for union members who are part-time as part of the UUP executive board and has been active in community service, including serving two terms as Geneseo town supervisor and chairing both Catholic Charities of Livingston County and SUNY Geneseo’s InterFaith Center.

2 Replies to “Kennison Earns UUP’s Highest Honor”

1. He is one amazing professor and friend. May God bless him for his dedication to his students. He truly has always gone above and beyond the call of duty. There are really no words to express the love I, along with my husband and family feel for this man ( and his beautiful wife Lynn). Must say, I was not too crazy when I moved to the Livingston county area and attended Geneseo as an adult just married not knowing anyone. Wes and Lynn opened the door of their home, wiped tears , shared Joys and fed me (oh can they cook ! )He pushed me forward when I was about to give up school. On goes the list but Ok. Ok , I will let others get a chance to say something. Love you Wes and so proud of you. Honestly, not surprised, but pleasantly pleased. And some of those gray hair ?sorry, that was Min and I.