Celestial spheres

Snowy winter day, with moon above horizon

Winter is a time of many different emotions and mentalities; each being who makes their way in the cold and dark has their own unique outlook on surviving the season. Most humans who live in regions that experience winter have developed uplifting mindsets of sorts in order to maintain high spirits through the seemingly dismal aura surrounding winter. Many cultures celebrate the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, with rejoice for new beginnings in the form of the eventual spring. During this time of hope and raised spirits, the aura of good cheer can generate beautiful moments of true magic and wonder. One legend that awakens during the snowy season is that of Santa Claus, the jolly old toymaker, who astounds and mystifies children of nearly any age. In my personal opinion, the idea of Santa Claus (or any other uplifting winter legend) is perfect for opening the eyes of children to the wonders of imagination and the magic of winter. In fact, I experienced a moment of pure wonder and awe just the other day. Of course, my credibility might go down a notch if I said I believed in legends such as Santa Claus, so I won’t go that far (although I admit it is quite fun to ponder the existence of such a legend).

I remember getting out of bed, following my usual routine, and making my way to the water fountain to fill up my bottle. On the way down the stairs, I glanced out the window, and was greeted with the full, pale face of the moon casting its reflected light down towards me. Caught in its powerful gaze, I could only stare at the beauty of its marbled surface. As I stood there, I simply contemplated the way humans have always gawked at the wonder and mystery of space. –Travis Best