Less is More

Last class, we visited a replica of Henry David Thoreau’s cabin, located on the south side of campus. Living at Monroe Hall, on the North side of campus, I was annoyed to have to walk ten minutes in 60-degree weather–not to mention I did not dress weather appropriate, but that was my negligence. Regardless of the rocky start, I much enjoyed this class time.

Thoreau’s cabin reminded me of the Tiny house social movement. I have watched many videos and read articles about this moment. Many times these tiny houses are off grid, allowing people to travel with their homes. Small houses also encourage people to be outdoors, something I think everyone should do more often. Overall, the idea of living with only the essentials in a small space fascinates me. I believe society attempts to reconnect with nature by living a simple life. It’s a hard concept to grasp for many people. This concept of living in a small space with only the bare necessities can be daunting to many. For me, it seems like a perfect balance between nature and modern life.

I am glad to find a connection between a particular interest of mine and a class topic. Having a personal interest in a subject makes learning a more enjoyable and meaningful experience. This field trip was not just about a half-constructed cabin and standing outside in 60-degree weather. Instead, I learned about the fundamental ideas behind modern-day social movements.          –Luiza