Geneseo History 1991-2000

1991

First Intersession Classes Offered in January

Students can use Intersession courses to accelerate their academic progress or maintain their eligibility in the Excelsior Scholarship. Non-Geneseo students and members of the public are also welcome to enroll in the online courses offered by Geneseo over intersession.

1991

First Intersession Classes Offered in January

1991

Roemer Arboretum Dedicated

Spencer Roemer at Arboretum

The Spencer J. Roemer Arboretum encourages both students and the Geneseo community to understand, enjoy, and preserve the natural world.

Spencer Roemer in the arboretum (Fred Bright)

1991

Roemer Arboretum Dedicated

1992

School of Education Founded

Ella Cline Shear

Geneseo’s Department of Education was reorganized as a School of Education with about 30 teaching faculty. It was renamed the Ella Cline Shear School of Education in 1998, in recognition of Shear, who graduated from Geneseo in 1935 and spent the next 41 years as a dedicated elementary school teacher.

Ella Cline Shear (November 2001 Geneseo Scene)

1992

School of Education Founded

1994

SUNY Geneseo Joined the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges (COPLAC)

The Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges advances the aims of its member institutions and drives awareness of the value of high-quality, public liberal arts education in a student-centered, residential environment. Established in 1987, COPLAC now consists of 29 colleges and universities in 27 states and one Canadian province.

1994

SUNY Geneseo Joined the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges (COPLAC)

1994

Arts Merger

The music and theatre/dance departments merged to form the School of Performing Arts.

1994

Arts Merger

1994

Donation Milestone

Annual private contributions to the College exceeded $1 million for the first time.

1994

Donation Milestone

1994

Player of the Year

Scott Fitch (with ball) and Scott Tudman

Basketball standout Scott Fitch ’94 was named Geneseo’s first NCAA Division III Player of the Year.

Scott Fitch (with ball) and Scott Tudman (Tom Murphy, Bright Collection)

1994

Player of the Year

1995

South Hall Opened

South Hall under construction

The first classes were held in South Hall in the fall; faculty offices were moved into the building during semester break. South Hall was the first new building in 18 years. Today, the building houses the School of Business, the Ella Cline Shear School of Education, and the Computing and Information Technology office.

South Hall under construction (Facilities Planning Office)

1995

South Hall Opened

1996

Christopher Dahl Named President

Christopher Dahl

In 1995, Carol Harter left Geneseo to become president of the University of Nevada at Las Vegas. After serving briefly as provost and interim president, Christopher Dahl became president in February, serving until 2013. His tenure witnessed the opening of two residence halls and the new science building as well as the college’s first national media recognition. Academically, he oversaw the accreditation of the business and education schools, the founding of the college’s Phi Beta Kappa chapter, and the creation of international dual-degree programs.

(Roemer House Collection)

1996

Christopher Dahl Named President

1996

Campus House Purchased

Campus Auxiliary Services bought 17 Main Street in the spring, announcing that the new Campus House, built in about 1816, would be available for meetings and receptions.

1996

Campus House Purchased

1996

125 Years

The College formally celebrated its 125th anniversary on September 27, with several special programs and events, including President Dahl's inauguration.

1996

125 Years

1997

Anniversary Campaign Surpassed Fundraising Goal

In the spring, the Geneseo Foundation announced that the 125th Anniversary Campaign, begun in 1993, had raised more than seven million dollars, surpassing its original goal by over two million dollars.

1997

Anniversary Campaign Surpassed Fundraising Goal

1997

Roemer House

Roemer House on Bank Street purchased by the College.

1997

Roemer House

1998

Big Tree Inn Purchased

Campus Auxiliary Services purchased the Big Tree Inn, located at 46 Main Street and originally built in 1833.

1998

Big Tree Inn Purchased

1999

Online Course Registration Implemented

Online course registration was offered on a trial basis during the spring semester and was fully implemented in November 2001.

1999

Online Course Registration Implemented

1999

Outdoor Graduation … Again

In May, the College held its first outdoor commencement since 1972.

1999

Outdoor Graduation … Again

1999

Former President Bush Lectured on Campus

Former President George H.W. Bush delivered the tenth James Jeremiah Wadsworth Lecture in September.

1999

Former President Bush Lectured on Campus

1999

National Champion

Track and field standout Beth Shope ’99 became Geneseo’s first national champion.

1999

National Champion

2000

Lauderdale Student Health Services Accredited

In the spring, Lauderdale Student Health Services was awarded a certificate of accreditation by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, Inc.

2000

Lauderdale Student Health Services Accredited

2000

Alumni Center and Lockhart Gallery Opened

The Geneseo Foundation purchased 26 Main Street in July, which became home to the Irma Hamer Collins Alumni Center and the Lockhart Gallery, which in October held its inaugural exhibition, featuring works by regional artists.

2000

Alumni Center and Lockhart Gallery Opened